Skirt Steak Tacos with Red Cabbage Slaw
Indulge in a culinary delight with Neil Zevnik's delectable Skirt Steak Tacos with Red Cabbage Slaw, perfectly complemented by Rise & Puff's gourmet everything tortillas. As a private chef renowned for his healthy upscale cuisine, Neil Zevnik has catered to A-list celebrities like Elizabeth Taylor, Charlize Theron, and many others. Now, he partners with Rise & Puff to present a mouthwatering steak taco recipe that will elevate your taco night to new heights.
Meet Neil Zevnik
Neil Zevnik is an esteemed private chef who specializes in creating healthy upscale dishes fit for Hollywood's elite. His impressive clientele includes Pierce Brosnan, Ben Affleck & Jennifer Garner, Novak Djokovic, and even the former owners of the LA Dodgers & the CEO of Disney. Neil shares his culinary expertise through his column "Innovation For Good" for Alive USA Magazine. Together with Rise & Puff, Neil brings you a sensational steak taco recipe that will tantalize your taste buds.
Recipe: Skirt Steak Tacos with Red Cabbage Slaw
- 1 1/2 lbs. skirt steak, sliced into 4-inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons neutral oil, divided (safflower or canola)
- 2 tablespoons Southwestern spice mix, divided
- 1 small yellow/brown onion, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 quart no-salt beef stock (Swanson’s is great) + extra
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil (Primal Kitchen is great)
- 8 Rise & Puff Everything Tortillas
- Hot sauce to taste
- Coat the skirt steak with 2 tablespoons of oil, sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the Southwestern spice mix, cover, and let it sit at room temperature for approximately 30 minutes.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of oil. Sear the steak pieces on both sides until nicely browned. Remove the steak from the skillet and set it aside.
- Add another tablespoon of oil and the chopped onions to the same skillet. Cook until the onions become translucent, which should take around 4 minutes. Add red wine, bring it to a boil. Then, add the beef stock, tomato paste, and the remaining 1 tablespoon of the spice mix. Bring it back to a boil.
- Return the seared steak to the skillet. Reduce the heat, cover, and let it simmer for two hours, stirring occasionally. If needed, add more beef stock during cooking.
- After two hours, turn off the heat. Using two forks, shred the meat right in the skillet and keep it warm.
Red Cabbage Slaw:
- In a separate bowl, combine the shredded red cabbage, thinly sliced red onions, and cilantro leaves.
- Add lime juice, avocado oil, salt, and pepper to taste. Gently toss the ingredients to coat the slaw evenly.
Assembling the Skirt Steak Tacos:
- Heat the Rise & Puff Everything Tortillas in a non-stick pan or grill over medium heat. Heat the tortillas for 20-30 seconds per side until they puff up, increasing the cook time for greater crispiness.
- Take a warm tortilla and add some of the shredded steak on top. Then, add the red cabbage slaw and splash your favorite hot sauce for an extra kick.
- Fold the tortilla in half to create the perfect skirt steak taco, and get ready to savor the culinary masterpiece you've just created!
Satisfy your cravings with Neil Zevnik's mouthwatering Skirt Steak Tacos with Red Cabbage Slaw, perfectly paired with Rise & Puff's gourmet tortillas. Neil's expertise in healthy upscale cuisine and his celebrity clientele bring a touch of sophistication to your taco night. With tender skirt steak, zesty slaw, and Rise & Puff's Everything Tortillas, every bite will transport you to a culinary haven. Elevate your dining experience with this exceptional steak taco recipe, brought to you by Neil Zevnik and Rise & Puff. Enjoy the flavors, share the joy, and create unforgettable taco moments with this savory delight.